When The Sloth isn’t holed up in a cinema we are busy with our other passion – cars. Since falling in love with a white Alpha Romeo Spider Convertible aged 15, we’ve had a four wheeled obsession that’s led to us owning a Triumph Spitfire 1500, a Lotus Elise 111S and screeching round Thruxton race track at the wheel of a Supercharged Lotus Exige. Sometimes we think we should be running a motoring blog.
So whilst 99% of the world hotly anticipates Spectre for the prospect of Mr Craig moodily despatching despotic villains whilst casually knocking off a couple of fit birds, The Sloth is instead counting the minutes to seeing the Aston Martin DB10 in action. Yes, the decision to feature a concept car as been derided, but Bond is ultimately about fantasy and when a car looks that good, who gives a monkeys? Even if it were a production car, it’s not like you’d be sizing it up as a viable alternative to your old Ford Focus, is it?
Now you may think we are a hopeless case but 2,500 similarly car loving members of the public were surveyed by independent polling specialists Toluna and asked the immeasurably important question “Which is your favourite Bond car of all time?”, which The Sloth soundly applauds as a thoroughly worthwhile use of time, money and resource.
The top 10 cars in reverse order are, drum roll please:
10. Saab 900 Turbo 2.70% (book: multiple) Whaaat??!?! Surely Bond would never drive something so dully prosaic??
9. Lotus Esprit Turbo 2.70% (film: For Your Eyes Only, 1981) That’s more like it!!! As a fellow Lotus owner The Sloth is only disappointed this doesn’t register higher.
8. The Blower Bentley 3.38% (book: multiple)
7. Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante 3.38% (film: The Living Daylights, 1987). Good choice – classy & understated
6. Aston Martin DBS 8.06% (film: On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, 1969)
5. Aston Martin DB Mk III 8.14% (book: Goldfinger, 1959) One for the anoraks as it appeared in the book, not the movie.
4. Aston Martin V12 Vanquish 9.29% (film: Die Another Day, 2002)
3. Jaguar XKR 11.76% (film: Die Another Day, 2002)
2. Aston Martin DBS V12 15.77% (film: multiple)
1. Aston Martin DB5 16.64% (film: multiple)
Frankly, could there be any other winner (apart from the amphibious Lotus…)? Introduced in Goldfinger, the DB5 has become so synonymous with Bond it landed as much of a starring role in Skyfall as Mr Craig himself. Certainly a nice job for Aston, with Mark Hill, Head of Business at Aston Martin, musing “that unforgettable image of Sean Connery with his DB5 in the Swiss Alps helped to cement the iconic status of the car and the brand.” All The Sloth needs to make our life complete is a test drive. Someone?? Pretty please??